Friday, April 18, 2008

BR - The Paradox of Choice - Barry Schwartz

BR - The Paradox of Choice - Barry Schwartz

3 outta 5.

This book was good for about the first 100 pages, but dragging it out to 330 was just too much. The short of it: We have so much choice that we end up f'ing ourselves up and being less happy for it, when we should really be happier. There's a few interesting studies, but it's more like he had to reach a certain amount of pages in order to qualify this as a real book. If it had been more consice it may have gotten 4 to 5 stars.

Takeaways - there are maximizers and satisficers. Maximizers over analyze everything and have tough times making decisions (sounds like someone I know). Satisficers set a minimum threshold for acceptance and as soon as those needs are met they buy/choose, whatever. Looks like I need to set criteria and then choose so I don't over analyze everything and then run into buyers remorse.

I don't know that I'd read again, but I may recommend to others, but not all.

No comments: